As the rain seeped through my impractical ballerinas and soaked the bottom of my jeans on the school run this morning, I found myself wistfully thinking back to our dry, hot, humid and dusty three years in Cyprus.
After a trip down memory lane, I came up with today’s top ten things I miss:
- The amazing views of mountains and sea whilst cycling to the beach; particularly when the Red Arrows were on their annual practise overhead
and Tina was alongside me!
- Wearing flip flops most of the year.
- Lizards scurrying under bushes and the sounds of the cicadas in the trees.
- The Cypriots love of children: not just tolerating children in restaurants, but actively welcoming them in, taking them off you to go and tour the kitchen and coming back laden with ice-cream or chocolate pudding freebies; sometimes for the whole family!
- Huge blocks of feta and halloumi cheese.
- Not having to open the curtains to work out what to wear each morning!
- Eating outside – all year round.
- The light in the house.
- The people and the community spirit on an overseas base.
- The huge and seasonal fruit and vegetables: aubergines, artichokes, watermelons and best of all; strawberries in January!